Monday, January 26, 2004

I've never really been a Led Zep fan-- I have never owned a Led Zep side, in any format, for example--nothin'. Not so much as a used 8-Track of ""Physical Graffiti"". If the need to listen to Jimmy Paige ever arose, there were always plenty of copies of "Houses of the Holy" around-- no need for me to have one. Still, oddly, with advancing age comes an appreciation of Zep-- maybe they weren't Cream, but they were hardly Mountain either, and I am starting to realize that I may have been unfairly dismissive of a band that actually was pretty great. The song that has me fessing up to this is "Heartbreaker". Hornby included it on his list, so I dutifully burned it onto the CD I made of his picks, and now I can't get it out of my head. Hornby says:"[I]n fact, if I ever had to hum a blues-metal riff to a puzzled alien, I'd choose "Heartbreaker".... I'm not sure that me going 'DANG DANG DANG DA-DA DANG, DA-DA-DA-DA DANG DANG DA-DA DANG' would enlighten him especially, but I'd feel that I'd done as good a job as circumstances allowed."

To which I will add that as I was cooking over the weekend, listening to the CD, A. came in as "Heartbreaker" came on. "DANG DANG DA-DA DANG, DA-DA-DA-DA DANG DANG DA-DA DANG...". "Zeppelin!" she exclaimed. Married to someone for all those years, you think you know them. Or something.

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com