Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Sunday I was at Borders, using the headphones to listen to a bunch of records from the latest critical favorites I've been reading about. I was ready to buy, and I wanted to hear a record that was so good that I had to run out to the car and blast it all the way home. I tried:

The Thrills,

The Shins,

Jet,

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs,

The Dandy Warhols,

The Strokes

and some others. On another day I listened to The White Stripes. I couldn't pull the trigger on any of them, although I almost went for Jet (a nice, but a little too clean Ron Wood/Faces-like guitar vibe), and am still thinking about The White Stripes. I'm not saying that any of them sucked; I like guitar bands, they're guitar bands, and I kind of liked them all, and I'm sure that there are some great singles in among the songs on those albums. Rather, I felt that these bands are mostly re-inventing the wheel, and I already have a nice set of wheels. Maybe that's why downloading individual songs has become the way to go.

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com