Friday, March 05, 2004

Frank Lloyd Webber. Andrew Lloyd Wright. I tried picking a fight with A. all week, but it didn't work, and I still had to go. (Well, actually, it worked fine, but she stored it all up like a camel, and I still had to go. I'll pay later.) Most of the book was adopted from the letters, diaries and other writings of Wright and Darwin Martin, but the framing device was a Greek drama style chorus who was based on my sister-in-law. The period characters spoke in the elaborately enunciated manner that ACTors use to show that they are Acting; to establish that the Carol character is contemporary she spoke in an elaborate New Jersey accent. Hilariously, Carol actually has a manner of diction closer to that used by the actors playing the early twentieth century characters, but I am quibbling here. If you ever want to feel like Homer Simpson, try attending a musical where one of the characters is fawningly based on your sister-in-law. It was professionally done, all in all, and I suppose I've seen worse, but I didn't walk out humming the set design, either.

They didn't have original cast recordings of the thing in the lobby, but I put Dave's name down on the list.

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com