Monday, May 17, 2004

Was that an insult? I can't tell.

Here is my Preakness report:

Friday afternoon we drove from Buffalo to just south of Albany en route to my nephew's high school graduation party in Rockland County. We stayed at a place just outside the city limits. We went to dinner at the venerable Jack's Oyster House in downtown Albany. I had six raw bluepoints as my appetizer; they were big and buttery. I ordered a glass of 12 year old Macallan, neat, and they brought me a martini glass filled to the brim, at least six ounces. Margot said, don't drink it you'll get too drunk. I figured that when the bill came I'd see a charge of about $18 for the whisky. It was $8.99. Wow.

It was clear to me that Smarty Jones would win easily and pay nothing. Therefore, the key to making money here was to get the right horses into an exacta or trifecta. I had also decided that Lion Heart, who finished a fading second in the Derby, couldn't stand up to Smarty Jones and wouldn't be a factor on a faster track.

Saturday morning I went for a one hour run into the city. I ran up Delaware Avenue toward downtown. I'm pretty sure I ran by the street where Jim and I slept in Jim's car back in 1987, before we could afford a day at the track and a hotel room. When I came to Lark Street, there on the corner was the Lionheart Pub. This was an omen that could not be ignored.

After reading the form, I decided to box a $2 exacta of Smarty Jones, Borrego and Rock Hard Ten, who I think was named after either an old Aerosmith song or the letter that Dave got published in Penthouse Forum back in the seventies. To play the Lion Heart hunch, I also boxed a $2 exacta of Smarty Jones, Lion Heart and Imperialism (the top three Derby finishers). However, I had no confidence in this play. Total bets:$24.

As it turns out, the 3-5 Smarty Jones smoked the field and Rock Hard Ten ran second. The exacta paid $24.60 (OTB: $23). So I was right but lost $1.

Smarty Jones will win the Belmont unless there's some super horse out there who we haven't heard of yet, which I doubt.




| Comments:
hello kracblog.blogspot.com owner found your site via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have found website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your website http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com