Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Despite my interest in all things guitar and my relatively large collection of jazz records, I haven't invested heavily in jazz guitar records. I've got a couple Tal Farlows, a couple Wes Montgomeries, a couple Joe Passes, and one or two others. I like some of them more than others, but when I'm in a jazz mood I usually reach for the horn players and pianists. However, I just read a Guitar Player article about Barney Kessel, and a News (Jeff Simon) article about a new Mosaic box set of Tal Farlow. The web-buzz on the Farlow set is that it's nothing special, so I won't be spending the $100-plus to get it. But I will be picking up some fifties-era Barney Kessel, who I've heard only on one or two of Charlie Parker's Dial sides. See, e.g., "Relaxin' at Camarillo."

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com