Thursday, July 08, 2004

My friend Greg Poulos had a go at the New York City Triathlon last month. I haven't had a chance to hear about it from him, but this account makes it sound about like what I think it would be like. While I can see the appeal, sort of, this kind of combo platter sport doesn't really do it for me. Is the winner of the decathlon the "greatest athlete in the world"? ("Thanks, King.") Maybe, but not in the way that the record holder in the 100 meters is the world's fastest human. ABC used to have a show called "The Superstars" in which athletes (and at least one race car driver) competed in various events. I remember thinking it was hilarious watching them wobble around the track on their bicycles, but did it really prove anything?

Still, I'm impressed with Greg's triathlon. As mid-life crises go, we probably all should have gone with the red sports car, but that would be too easy.

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com