Sunday, January 09, 2005

I hate the Jets. Growing up, of course, I loved the Jets, because they were cool then-- all sideburns and white shoes, but over the years they devolved into the Peagreens, a team doomed to mostly be horrible, and occasionally flirt with success, only to slide into the worst kind of mediocrity. The ultimate Jets session would be for them to go 8-8, make the playoffs, and then be blown out in the first round. I refuse to even look it up-- as far as I'm concerned that's pretty much what the Jets have been like my whole life.

Ordinarily I believe that the team you grow up with is your team for life, but the Jets were different. My parents were Giants fans, and the Jets were a mild kind of rebellion. Except that after-- long after--I'd worked out whatever mild issues I ever had, there I was, stuck with the Jets as my team. And they were dreadful, and snakebit, and the Peagreens, and when I moved to Buffalo I found that there was a better way. I invoked the "Go with the home team" rule and never looked back. One nice part about abandoning the Peagreens is that the Bills play them, so that I get to see my demons confronted twice a season.

So, Jets beat Bolts. Man, I thought better of San Diego-- I kinda liked them whomping the Peagreens, then maybe beating the Colts. I love watching the Colts at the moment, because they look just like the Bills used to, but you could see it happening. Now we have the Jets against the Steelers, and the Jets have, I think, a puncher's chance. Not to win the Super Bowl-- just to stumble into it, and be the worst AFC team to do it, and to end up in a Super Bowl with -- who? the Vikings? that'd be plenty ugly.

Right now I'm liking the Colts. C'mon Ponys!

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com