Monday, February 28, 2005

A. had the cassoulet, and LCA ordered the roasted duck with cherrys, so when it came to me, the duck options had run out. I ordered the sauted calves liver, and it was delicious. Oh, organ meats! Oh, offal! I forgot that you are under interdict! I have been functioning with background ache for a while now, but I remembered some of the list this morning.

Fortunately there are pills for this, and I have them, so I am probably going to be able to cut this off at the pass. In any event, I recommend Cosette, 163 33rd Street, the sort of little French joint you dream about walking into, but almost never do. We split a nice Rhone Valley pinot noir, which worked well with what we'd ordered. I figured a pinot was the way to go with what the two of us were having, and our waitress did an excellent job of guiding us to a good one in our price range. Undertones of currant, full of terroir. A and EGA had the carrot-ginger soup as a starter, and I sampled it: it was clear that this was a restaurant that knew what it was about: the flavor was bright and savory, with the sweetness of the carrots in perfect balance. CLA (who had the salmon, and was very happy with it) abstained from desert, but the rest of us partook: EGA (who had the mussels) and I had a nice creme brulee; LCA had the chocolate mousse; and A had a tarte tatin that was just the thing.

If there were a dozen tables it would be a lot: it looks like it is a pretty popular spot, and we really got lucky by getting there early. I'd make reservations next time.

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com