Monday, February 21, 2005

"I do not advocate the use of dangerous drugs, wild amounts of alcohol and violence and weirdness - but they've always worked for me."

When asked in a recent interview if he had any regrets, his response was dimissive. "Those I have are so minor. Would I leave my Keith Richards hat with the silver skull on it in the coffee shop at LaGuardia? I wouldn't do that again. But overall, no. I don't have any regrets."

"Honolulu Marathon decadent, depraved"

"Anybody who wanders around the world saying, "Hell yes, I'm from Texas," deserves whatever happens to him."

I could fill a book with memorable things Hunter S. Thompson said-- we all could, and he did-- many books, some of them brilliant. I tried to keep up, even when his output seemed to be turning into schtick, because you never knew when he'd hit you between the eyes with something that was true and obvious that you'd never seen before, or even thought about.

So long, Doctor.

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com