Thursday, April 28, 2005

Playing around with Amazon's Recomendations, "4 Way Street" popped up. I very nearly checked "Not Interested", on the spot, but thought I'd see what the reviews had to say about it. I was probably 14 when I got my copy, and although pretty much everyone has slammed it over the years, at the time my reaction was "Dig it" (as Steven Stills says, again and again). Of course, it does have both "Southern Man" and "Ohio"-- enough to sink any side, but I well recall thinking the world of Neil Young's "Cowgirl In The Sand" and "Don't Let It Bring You Down". Come to think of it, Crosby's stuff-- "Triad" ("The song that got me kicked out of The Byrds," he used to joke in concert) and "Lee Shore"-- were also pretty groovy. Now on re-issue it seems that there is more Neil Young and more Crosby goodness-- but there is still a lot more Graham Nash than anyone should want or need, and "Southern Man" and "Ohio". I guess you can't step in the same river twice, and I'm not interested after all. I mean, what kind of sad old hippie would have this on their shelves in the 21st Century?

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com