Sunday, June 12, 2005

Finally.

I didn't doubt that Afleet Alex would win the Belmont. But he was going to go off at such a short price that a win ticket would be nothing more than a get-your-$2-back coupon. So I boxed him in an exacta with a few long shots: Andromeda's Hero, Reverberate and Indy Storm, just to see if I could make some money (note the two Zito-trained entries). I caught the race on the car radio after it started, and when Afleet Alex blew away the field at the top of the stretch it was just a question of which horse snuck into second place. The exacta paid $44.00 ($41.20 at OTB), so I emerged from the Triple Crown with a shred of my handicapper's dignity intact, but still down for the year. Looks like I'll have to make up the deficit at Saratoga.

Also, Saturday afternoon we met my inlaws for lunch at the Village Grille on Main Street in Williamsville. When I walked in, my bro-in-law pointed to a guy sitting at the next table and asked if I knew who he was. I didn't recognized him in his baseball cap, but it was Joe Delamaleure (sp?). I shook his hand and said it was a true honor to meet him. He was very friendly and talked to us for quite a while, offering opinions which included: "The Bills should never have gotten rid of Flutie"; "Bledsoe is still a good quarterback and suffered in Buffalo only because they took away his weapons and the line was bad"; "Bledsoe can still play and will play well for Dallas" (Steve Grogan told him this); and "Mike Williams is too fat and slow." I don't know how old Joe D. is, but he looks like he's about 40 and could still play.

Turns out he was doing his laundry at the laundromat across the street and was taking a lunch break.

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com