Friday, June 10, 2005

When David Kane was fronting The Celibates they performed a song called "The Girl With The Headphones. When my brother was at the U of M he hung around with a band called Map of the World, who did a song called "Monkey's Paw". Both of these were great power pop tunes with terrific hooks, and I have copies of both-- on mix tapes from that era. Ain't got the vinyl, and as for digital-- well, if these songs exist in digital form somewhere, it'd take a bigger obsessive than I am to ferit them out.

That's one of the beauties of the mix tape, actually. I agree with Brandon Stosuy: the digital playlist is a different creature, (as is the mix CD). When I read about the PlusDeck 2 yesterday I knew right away that this is something I require in my life. It turns taped music into digital files. I don't care that it is surely a complicated instalation job. I don't care that there is something pathetic about going out and buying a computer peripheral to put my old mix tapes on my iPod. We're not talking about old Duran Duran albums here-- this is great stuff.

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com