Monday, July 11, 2005

The morning sky told the whole story-- clear and blue with just a wisp of cloud to emphasize that the sun was going to be remorseless. There weren't going to be any PRs at this Boilermaker, but distaff member Judy Power-Knab doesn't make alibis and attacked the course like it was Normandy Beach. In the end there was 1:39:21-- a scant two minutes off last year's time-- time she could have made up if Joel Giambra hadn't shut the parks down. Look out for her next year. Our Captain finished in a romp, fresh as a daisy, a second behind Judy-- can't wait to see the pictures.

My goal going in was to try to equal or better last year's time, my PR, but the thin sheen of perspiration on my forearms as we waited at the start told me that I would have to adjust my usual strategy (go hard until I can't, then hang on like grim death). This time my plan was to go easy for the first 5k, attack the hills, then try for reverse splits on the back stretch. It might have worked, too, but equipment issues waylaid me: as we crested the golf course hill, I knew I was going to have a blister problem on my good foot. The effect this had on my gait was enough to bring on the problem I've been nursing with my left foot-- I really couldn't attack at the end the way I would have had to for my plan to work. Still, 1:34:01-- not a bad day out.

The other effective strategy development was to split an order of the greens as an appetizer. We shared a second appetizer-- a small pizza, split a bottle of Chianti Classico, and with the hats as an entree were quite pleasantly sated.

You can tell me that you had a better weekend, but I'm not sure I'd believe you.

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com