Monday, July 10, 2006

Just in time for next year's Boilermaker, the OD has a set of mile by mile tips (my annotations are in parentheses, together with my splits):

"Mile One: Go with the flow. Trying to zig-zag through traffic expends energy you may need later on. (I'll have to remember to try this some year. 10:27)

Mile Two: A good place to settle in and set a nice comfortable pace. (11:14. Not that comfortable, dammit!)

Mile Three: Mile three's climb offers the first real test of the day-- grab some water or ice if you need it. (This is one of the prettiest stretches as well, marked by the attractive daughters of Utica's monied elite handing out water. 11:43)

Mile Four: The fourth mile is almost all uphill. Remind yourself that 'What goes up must come down'. (There hasn't been a year that I've run this that I'm not glad for all the time at the Ridge. I think the stretch before the golf course hill is actually tougher than the big hill. 12:46, but I had to adjust my hydration.)

Mile 5: You're on cruise control (unless you are a Utica teacher, then "your on cruise control")for much of Mile Five-- it's a good time to catch your breath. (See the llama. Have a popsicle. 10:19)

Mile 6: This section can get you down-- hang in there, hydrate, and work your way past Utica College as best you can. (Flat and hot, until you start to climb. And climb. 10:33)

Mile 7: Some of the largest, most vocal crowds line the end of Champlin Avenue, and can help prepare you for the last mile or so. (11:07)

Mile 8: The long climb up Whitesboro Street-- often into a bright morning sun, can take its toll if you're not careful." (10:16)

Mile 9: (10:51)(I coverered the last .3 in 2:57.)

This year I tried to think of the race in 5k bites, instead of mile by bloody mile. It helped, I think. The first third is finding the right pace; the second third is finding that you feel good, and that your training worked; and the last is the last-- burn it all, baby.

1:42.14 overall, averaging 10:57 miles. Looking over thos splits, it's not hard to see where I could have saved some time: I was 1:34:01 (10:05) last year, and a blazing 1:28:26 (9:29) in 04. Even so, it was over too quickly.

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com