Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I concur with King Kaufman's breakdown of the MLB playoffs, with one reservation. I'd say the Tribe has better pitching, but as Kaufman points out (I hadn't known this)the Yankees fell four runs shy of averaging six per game this season. (Emphasis supplied, as we say in the law biz.) Of course, if A-Rod goes cold, who knows?

There is nobody left in the NL that I can stand, with the possible exception of Lou Pinella's Cubs. The Cubs and their fans are what fans of the Red Sox think they are-- scruffy, lovable losers-- without the literary pretention. John Updike didn't write a love poem about Ernie Banks' last at bat, but we have Steve Goodman's "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request" and Lee Elia's Rant.

Oh, and the Hoosiers pulled off a win last week against Iowa after losing the week before to the surprisingly hot Illini. If I could find a bar that had the Indiana game on every week, I might be in trouble, but as it is I am limited to the agate print in the Sunday paper. Minnesota this week, in Bloomington, then on the road to Michigan State.

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com