Thursday, December 20, 2007

Bill Parcells getting back into the game would be a whole lot more interesting if he was on the sidelines coaching. I don't doubt for a moment that he is motivated by the success of his erstwhile sidekick, the dapper Bill Belichick. You can almost hear the inside of his head: "I'll show them who's a genius!"

I suppose it might work out for the Fish-- he could hardly do a worse job-- but it seems to me that Tuna has always done his best work as a coach rather than as a GM or as Supreme Ruler of All Football Operations. It's interesting that he couldn't take the gig without screwing someone else over. That's also been a pattern with him, and you just know that Gregg Esterbrook is firing up one of his macros: what you get when you hire a coach who is only interested in himself is a coach who will screw you as soon as he sees an opportunity.

I've been thinking about what Belichick would do if the Pats run the table and win the Super Bowl. In many ways the Bills run is still one of the most remarkable things I've ever seen in sports because they kept getting back up, but 16-0 would be hard to top, and I'd have to think that retirement would look like the way to end on a high note. With Parcells back, though, and in the AFC East,it seems to me that Belichick would feel like he owed himself one more year. He has the horses, after all, why not?

| Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com